AOP use cases

Daniel Dittmar daniel at dittmar.net
Fri Apr 23 15:56:33 EDT 2004

Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> So, arbitrarily complex transformations on the source code with
> the intent of hiding the intension of the source code are good,
> right?

What do you think a C compiler is doing? "But it's still my code, the
compiler simply allows to run it on a another processor." AOP tries to
provide transformations so that it is still your code, but that it can
run in a multitude of contextes (example: single user, servlet engine,
transaction monitor).

There are other approaches like code generation. But chances are that
that multiple code generators cannot be combined easily, as each
precompiler will reject the syntax extensions of the others as syntax
errors.

Daniel