askstring => grab failes

klappnase klappnase at web.de
Tue Apr 27 05:50:57 EDT 2004

wes weston <wweston at att.net> wrote in message news:<YRajc.24437$_o3.804189 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> Guys/Gals,
>     Does anyone know why a call to tkSimpleDialog.askstring
> would result in a grab fail error. The call is from a toplevel
> window. The error happens about two thirds of the time! It
> doesn't happen at all in other apps. Is it a build issue?
>
> Redhat 9.0
> Python 2.3.3
>
> Thanks,
> wes

I had this same problem (Mandrake9.1, Python2.3.3/Tk8.4.5 as well as
Python2.2.3/Tk8.3.3) that I got error mesages on askstring() dialogs:

TclError: grab failed: window not viewable

Because it happens with both python/Tk versions I don't think it's a
build problem.
Maybe it's a Tk-bug?
It drove me nuts for a while until I wrote my own dialog widget.
Any hints here would be very appreciated.

Regards

Michael