Aspect Programming Module

Alexandre Fayolle alf at calvin.fayauffre.org
Thu Apr 15 04:01:33 EDT 2004

Will Stuyvesant feels like trolling:
>> [Alexandre Fayolle, being a good employee]

+1 point for ad hominem attack.

>> You may want to try the logilab.aspects package, available at
>> http://www.logilab.org/projects/aspects/
>
> I am afraid you are serious.

I am. Deadly serious. I even took part in the implementation of the
module. And I'll tell you a secret. Even though logilab.aspect was more
a proof of concept implementation, we actually use it, especially the
logging and contract aspects, in production code.

> AOP is *not needed* for Python programmers.  Plain and simple.

Oh. And we're all supposed to take your word for it then. Such useless
comments are not needed by the Python community. Plain and simple.

> Don't understand?  Try this:

+1 point for implying I'm an idiot.

> "AOP is a contrived way to get around the limitations of a statically
> typed language."

Do you have anything to offer besides blunt dogmatic assertions? Could
you please quote your sources, or provide some supportive arguments.

The goal of AOP is "separating crosscutting concerns". This has nothing
to do with static/dynamic typing. It is a design problem. I think you
should read a bit on the topic before making a fool of yourself. Here
are a few links, for your education:

The original idea: http://www.parc.xerox.com/csl/groups/sda/publications/papers/Kiczales-ECOOP97/for-web.pdf
Aspect home page: http://www.aosd.net
aspects links: http://www.volantec.biz/aspect.htm
AspectJ tutorial: http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/
Crtitical analysis: http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/highley99aspect.html

Other projects provide AOP facilities for Python:
Pythius: http://pythius.sourceforge.net/
PEAK: http://peak.telecommunity.com/Articles/WhatisPEAK.html

> Put that on the logilab website.  And hire somebody to repair the
> broken English over there, it looks really, um...oh well I am not a
> native English speaker myself either.

Thank you for this very constructive remark. I hate to admit it, but
this is probably the most sensible thing you wrote in your post, though
the Netiquette explicitely frowns on such remarks.