slightly OT: BUT NEEDs to be said

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Apr 7 02:01:47 EDT 2004

Arthur wrote:

> "Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.369.1081197825.20120.python-list at python.org>...
>

>>Sometimes other
>>people like TV shows we think are insipid or offensive, this too is part
>>of life, and if you realise and accept that (within reason) you'll be
>>happier and more content.
>

> Despite having loud issues about community conformity and peer
> pressures (isolated issues, but loud ones) I must say that the fact
> that the Holy Grail movie was one of only 3 I ever walked out on,
> hasn't seemed to brand me. I was feeling particularly fragile, I
> remember, and looking for comic relief.  The dismembering stuff - as a
> comic notion - didn't work for me, at the moment. Wuss.
>
> For those on the edge of their seats:
>
> 2. Problem Child: "If he pees in the lemonade" , I told my son, "we're
> out of here".  He pees in the lemonade.
>
> 3. Priscilla Queen of the Desert: There were options, it seemed to me.
> Take off the dress in the Outback, being one. There has to be a way to
> promote a message of tolerance, it seems to me, without making putzes
> out of guys living on their brawn and wits in the Outback.
>
> Art

You are lumping "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", "Problem Child" and
"The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" together in one
message saying, "they all suck" (to some degree or another).

If at any point you thought "Problem Child" was going to be good to
watch, either for you or your son, then you need a /serious/ parental
wakeup call.  Watching 30 seconds of trailer when I was 10, was enough
to convince me that it was a worthless piece of crap, and I was part of
the core demographic.

As an aside, have you bothered to see "...Holy Grail" since you walked
out of it, or have you damned it based on your impression of it while
you were "feeling particularly fragile"?  Just curious.

As for you not enjoying "Priscilla...", well, that is unfortunate.
However, the message was not that of tolerance, tolerance carries one
unfortunate meaning - you tolerate the kid on the airplane kicking your
seat.  Perhaps you meant acceptance.  And yes, there have been many
movies about non-heterosexual lifestyles made, some better, some worse.
  The choices the writer/director made in regards to "Priscilla..." were
his to make, and again, it is unfortunate that you didn't enjoy the movie.

  - Josiah