GUI Frameworks in Python?

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 14:09:05 EDT 2004

sridharinfinity at yahoo.com (Sridhar R) wrote in message news:<930ba99a.0404030246.786455f5 at posting.google.com>...

> Man, you better use PyGTK (http://pygtk.org). It's portable (See pygtk
> faq for windows port). It's neet (API).
> Try also `glade`, `libglade`.
> http://glade.gnome.org , I think?

Can someone outline some differences/advantages of PyGTK vs. wxPython?

A first look at PyGTK shows me a more Unix-like look-and-feel. On the
other hand, wxPython on Windows does look very much like any other
Windows applications.

Is the event handling in PyGTK cleaner/better than wxPython? Does
PyGTK have more widgets? The FAQ of PyGTK does not have a comparison
section regarding other GUI toolkits, I think it would be useful if
one were included. (If you go to wxPython's mainpage, you read "Why
the hell hasn't wxPython become the standard GUI for Python yet?", and
also "BTW, great work! I've definitively switched from Tk. I work on
Win32, anybody who works on Win32 should switch!". Comments like that.
Readers can immediately know the relationship to Tk, and wxPython's
platform friendliness for Win32.) Given the lack of comparison, I
would guess that GTK is unix-friendly, since Unix people usually would
mention little or nothing about Windows. :) Continuing with my guess:
are there any caveats for using PyGTK for Windows programmers?

Given my observations, is it fair to say:

(a) wxPython is widely used for Windows Python programmers, and
(b) PyGTK is widely used for Unix Python programmers?

regards,

Hung Jung