Distributing a Python based application on Linux

Ramki kramakrishnan at novell.com
Thu Apr 8 12:07:13 EDT 2004

Hi !!

I have written an install script to deploy some of my product rpms.
The install script does OS Version Check, OS Memory check, logging the
status of install into a log file amongst other things.

Now the size of my product rpms is around 3 MB. If I am to distribute
Python along with the install, it is taking around 12 MB totally (the
python gz tar is around 9 MB), which is not ideal.

Is there way I can avoid this by distributing only the bare minimum
Python related binary along with my rpms ?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Ram.