Python compiler -> py to C, py to ELF

Ed Cogburn edcogburn at hotpop.com
Thu Apr 1 07:32:53 EST 2004

Peter Maas wrote:
> Yermat wrote:
>
>> If you just want an exe file, also see py2exe
>> (http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/)
>>
>> If what you want is something faster than python but not an ELF file
>> then also look at pyrex.
>

> If the goal is fast code dont' forget psyco. It is an extremely
> simple to use JIT compiler and can speed up Python scripts
> dramatically

It would be nice if Psycho were ported to the Mac as well so that all of the
major platforms that have Python could use Psycho too.  Then we could make
Psycho a standard part of Python with it automatically used by default, just
like the JIT compiler in Java.  I figure at least half of these threads we
constantly see about speeding up Python code would go away with a
used-by-default JIT compiler.  Its a nice dream anyway.  :)