OT (was Re: But it still doesn't explain the joke)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Apr 1 09:25:53 EST 2004

Cameron Laird wrote:
> In the litigious US, court cases for everything are unceasing.  What
> I suspect you have in mind is a Supreme Court hearing for a father
> who, if I understand correctly, claims his religious freedom as an
> atheist unconstitutionally impaired because of a requirement imposed
> by the public school his daughter attends that she recite The Pledge
>
> More background appears at <URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2067499/ >.

Without following the links to verify, I'll just note (since I
was reading this on the subway while heading for the PyCon venue)
that the recitation is apparently not even mandatory (for the girl)
but the father was objecting that she would even have to stand
there and listen to it.  (I don't know what the "rules" say, but
the school representative said the girl didn't even have to say
the pledge.)

-Peter