Why Activestate Python ?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Apr 15 07:03:01 EDT 2004

In article <1afv95dy6164y.1a9l3etptcw8w.dlg at 40tude.net>,
Andrei  <project5 at redrival.net> wrote:
>Fuzzyman wrote on 9 Apr 2004 01:25:45 -0700:
>
>> Again... a silly newbie question which might have an obvious
>> answer.... but *why* is their an alternative distribution of python by
>> activestate ?
>>
>> Apart fromt he fact that they bundle Mark Hammond's Windows Extensions
>> with it (in the windows version) - what is to be gained from using
>> their distributio instead of the 'normal' one ?
>
>You also get PythonWin and nice docs. Python might have good HTMLHelp
>format docs by now as well, but last time I tried, there were many broken
>things in it. At some point I was running an official Py2.3<something>
>because ActiveState was a bit slow in releasing a 2.3 version, but I
>continued to use the docs from ActiveState Py 2.2.X. Now I have their 2.3.2
>distribution installed.
>
>Apart from that, it's Python. Depending on what your usage pattern is, you
>might not even notice what you have on your HD.
			.
			.
			.
I'm not sure what kind of an answer the original questioner is
after.  It's a fact, though, that some organizations (still!)
only understand "commercial" products.  Developers and admini-
strators in such organizations simply are allowed no access to
standard Python; they're able to get on with their work only
because of the availability of ActiveState Python.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net