Dollar sign ($) on foriegn keyboards? (prothon)

Joe Mason joe at notcharles.ca
Tue Apr 20 05:07:21 EDT 2004

In article <c62m70$2hu$06$1 at news.t-online.com>, Peter Otten wrote:
> Mark Hahn wrote:
>
>> We are considering switching to the dollar sign ($) for self, instead of
>> the
>> period ( . ) we are using now in Prothon.  Ruby uses the at-sign (@) for

<snip>

> Apart from that obj$func() hurts my eye more than obj->func() and
> obj!func(). As always, Python shines here with its obj.func() :-)

I believe the suggestion is "$.func()" instead of "self.func()" (the
Python way) or just ".func()" (the earlier Prothon way).  Or possibly
the suggestion is for "$func()", although I like $.func() much better.

(I like this better than the ., though I still have no problem with
writing self all the time, so I prefer sticking to the Python way.  It
solves my main problem with ., which is when you do have to pass self
explicitly.  "function_call(param1, ., parm2)" is much more confusing
than "function_call(param1, $, param2)".)

Joe