HTML writer

Tuure Laurinolli tuure at laurinolli.net
Sat Apr 3 09:27:08 EST 2004

Moosebumps wrote:

> That is, I would not like any specific HTML tags anywhere in my own code,
> and it seems like that is what they will allow me to do.  But I would be
> interested to hear opinions/experiences with these packages.

I spent a couple of days last week getting to know each of these. I
found HTMLgen as I was getting desperate with the tag soup in my code
and quickly converted the code to use it. Then I found out it only does
HTML 3.2, missing end tags of elements and such. Some parts of the model
also weren't as generic as they should have been.

Next I stumbled upon HyperText, which seemed to fix all the
incosistencies of HTMLgen, and also output XHTML 1.0. THe problem was
that I found no way to use web forms with it. The 'name'-attribute of an
input tag seemed to be impossible to set(ie. foo.name didn't do the
right thing, foo['name'] was illegal and there weren't any obvious false
names like klass <-> class). Fixing this would have been easy, but I
decided to look for alternatives.

The final option seemed to be XIST, of which HTML seems to be only small
part. It seems to implement HTML in a consistent fashion, allowing all
the necessary tag attributes to be set and otherwise providing a nice
interface to the horrible world of web :)

-- Tuure Laurinolli