Unification of Methods and Functions

Nicolas Fleury nid_oizo at yahoo.com_remove_the_
Fri Apr 30 13:50:08 EDT 2004

David MacQuigg wrote:
> I'm especially interested in feedback from users who are now learning
> or have recently learned Python.  I already know these changes seem
> trivial to many experts.  I've also heard plenty from the people who
> think Python is so complex that we need to start a whole new language
> ( www.prothon.org ).  I'm looking for a middle ground.  I believe it
> is possible to adopt what is good about Prothon, and not lose ten
> years of software and community development.

I don't think Python is too complex and to me your suggestion adds more
complexity rather than simplying.  Your proposal is also not
backward-compatible at all, so I don't see it can ever be accepted.  I
agree that avoiding self make code lighter, but I don't think it unify
things or simplify them.  It adds a magic and hidden parameter.  The
good thing about the current syntax is that it shows what is really
happening.  Actually, I find the statu quo more unified.

I would prefer self to be a keyword and be used to determine if the
function is static, but I guess we have to live with things like that.
I have given some python courses and the self parameter seems to be
clear for everybody.  I think it even helps comprehension.

Regards,

Nicolas