Intermittant slow startup

Michael Mossey michaelmossey at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 18:45:40 EDT 2004

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote in message news:<4071A86D.97CA6CAE at alcyone.com>...
> Michael Mossey wrote:
>
> > Runnng python 2.2 on HP-UX, I get intermittant slow startup.
> > Sometimes python starts up in a small fraction of a second, and
> > sometimes takes 3-5 seconds.  This applies to any script I run, or
> > just typing 'python' at the prompt.
> >
> > I also observed something similar on Linux.
> >
> > Any ideas what would cause *intermittant* slow startup?
>
> Caching?  Is it a long time between invocations that it takes a long
> time to start up?

It is quite intermittant without much of a pattern I can see.  One
thing that is definitely true is that if I start up python several
times in a row one right after the other, some can be slow and some
fast.  I just observed it start fast twice, then start slow.  I don't
remember if it ever does the other way around but I think it does.

-Mike