Method for providing a trail period on a program

Ian Parker parker at gol.com
Thu Apr 15 04:28:36 EDT 2004

In article <pqs0l1-6og.ln1 at home.rogerbinns.com>, Roger Binns
<rogerb at rogerbinns.com> writes
>> I am however, not prepared to
>> let them run it forever for free.  If it provides
>> value to them, I believe they should purchase a
>> license.  This may put me in the minority on
>> a Python site, but that's the way I feel.
>
>Keep a counter of how many times the program has been
>run, and how long a time period it has been used for.
>Start whining once they get past a reasonable trial
>period.
>
>I would store the counters in the registry or somewhere
>similar.  The user could go in and edit them back down
>to zero, but at that point they are trying to immorally
>alter the software function to get around the period.
>There is no real point trying to deal with people who
>are absolutely determined to steal.  They will always
>succeed.  People who have to make minor changes
>to circumvent stuff know they are doing wrong.
>
>You can also add in a weekly check for updates (with
>the users permission).  That will remind people that
>they get to pay for the software's continued improvement
>(unless 1.0 happens to be perfect and user requirements
>never change :-)
>
>Roger

I second this.  People may accept a copy of software from an associate,
or be pleasantly surprised that a visiting engineer has installed some
software on one of their computers.  They may gloss over the fact that
it is not licensed.

However, if the only way they can keep the software working is to reset
the date on the PC or to clear some registry entries, they tend to
recognise that this is at least immoral and perhaps criminal abuse.

So give the potential user fully functioning trial software but include
a timed expiry.  If it is useful to them, they may well buy it.

Regards

--
Ian Parker