Arbitary VTABLE/Python

John Smith skjj at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 15 17:25:07 EDT 2004

Sorry if these question has been answered
already, our Web searches/FAQs left us
with more questions than answers.

Few of us at a very large corporation
are struggling to figure out if Python
stable & scalable for our needs.
(Sorry if this question has been answered
already, our Web searches/FAQs left us
with more questions than answers)

We have very,very large C++ applications
that talk to third part COM based server(s),
both in-proc & out-of-proc

- For large arbitary vtable based interfaces,
what is the best approach from Python?

We looked at FAQs, DOCs (including ActiveState), WEB
searches, and saw references to SWIG, PythonCOM extensions
BOOST.Python etc, and some problems people have reported using arbitary
vtable interfaces from PythonCOM (BTW: where is are DOCs on
one using/creating PythonCOM extensions? From our
WEB searhces, it looks like 'makepy' may not
work under all situations?)

What combinations of tools/modules does one recommend
for transitioning to Python based environment
where large third party COM+ based infrastructure (C++)
already exists? How stable/scalable/fast are these solutions?

Our existing C++ code base runs both on Windows & Unix
and we don't have to worry about supporting .NET right now.

Thanks.