Is Perl *that* good?

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Tue Apr 27 15:41:19 EDT 2004

I wrote:
> >>I wish Python had won, as well. But time is linear (in
> >>my mind). I now wish only that we could leverage the
> >>similarity of JS and Python (execution and binding
> >>models) into more Python users. Marketing needs
> >>to run with the line, "So you know Javascript? Then
> >>you know Python!"

and Peter Hansen replied:
> I learned Javascript after learning Python. (That is, up until that
> point, I coded Javascript like a script kiddie, copying and tweaking
> without understanding.)  It was the similarities with Python that
> actually let me start to respect it somewhat.  I thought "Cool!  It's
> just like Python but with less power and an uglier syntax!"  :-)

I had a similar experience. I was just starting to appreciate Javascript
and write some more powerful applications (here and there, not
exclusively ;) when I found Python. I agree that Python has improved my
appreciation for JS: I just finished a much nicer 2.0 version of Lyrica
(a web slideshow tool*), and although I miss some of Python's clarity in
JS, I've learned a lot about how to make JS cleaner and better by
learning Python.

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org

* IE only: http://www.aminus.org/rbre/music/lyrica It's mostly a way to
get the fun of stylesheets out to the average user, without making them
learn XHTML, CSS, JS, and the DOM in all their powerful, confusing
expressiveness. I use it at church for song lyrics, but it can be used
for almost any content.