A python telnet entry level question

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Apr 26 14:55:25 EDT 2004

In article <c6j2ds$8jc$1 at scotsman.ed.ac.uk>,
Eddie Corns <eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
			.
>And then you get unhelpful router manufacturers that put code in to check
>whether passwords are typed too fast (or regularly spaced) and ignore them
>because they're obviously not dealing with a human!  Took me ages to figure
>out why my scripts were failing (then about 10 seconds to defeat it).
>
>Yes, using telnet is more art than science but it's a lot better now than
>before we had expect (for heavy duty jobs) and telnetlib (for simpler jobs).
>
>Eddie

I entirely agree.  Expect and telnetlib definitely *do*
ease life's burdens.

The examples you cite are common enough that Don Libes,
creator and maintainer of the original Expect, became
sufficiently expert in timing issues to make development
of "drunken typist" applications simple <URL:
http://expect.nist.gov/example/beer.exp >.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net