Is Perl *that* good? (was: How's ruby compare to it older brother python)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Apr 26 14:47:37 EDT 2004

			.
>> I continue to conclude that all these languages are
>> roughtly equally competent at managing strings.
>
>Perhaps, but right now I think that I'm in love with Python. Consider
>these two equivalent routines in PHP and Python:
			.
		[marvelous, if
		slightly unfair,
		example]
			.
			.
>My PHP coding may be suboptimal, but in terms both of codability and
>readability as well as in sheer elegance, I find the Python version
>superior in any way.
			.
			.
			.
I consider infatuation with Python entirely healthy.  In
fact, I often *do* argue just the same position as you
take here:  that Python is strongly and demonstrably superior
to PHP.  I just want to be as precise as I can about what the
differences are.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net