MATLAB2Python

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 29 17:30:57 EDT 2004

Sarge wrote:

>>I have found numerous cases where Python programs run 10-100
>>times slower or more than a comparable Fortran 95 program.
>

> Uh-oh. This is not fine.
> I want to switch to py in order to achieve more flexibility
> especially in the areas of GUIs, distributed computing, and oo-
> programming. But I don't want my programs run 100 times slower!
> Is it possible to integrate some fortran compiled routines in order
> to speed up the more time-consuming steps?

Why, yes! http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/

In my experience, the 10-100 factor only arises when you are doing all
the looping in Python. If you can utilize Numeric arrays sufficiently,
most of the looping goes down into fast C. So be wary of premature
optimization: sometimes the Python code will run just as fast or fast
enough (or faster!) than calling out to FORTRAN or C or C++.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter