AOP use cases

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Sat Apr 17 01:56:03 EDT 2004

On 04/16/04 11:22, Daniel Dittmar wrote:
> - persistence
> - transactions: pass a transaction context through a call hierarchy spanning
> several objects and let the transaction fail if certain methods fail

Interesting you should mention these, since ZODB provides transactional,
transparent object persistence.

> It may very well be that these can be implemented in current Python, but
> this only means that Python already has good support for AOP.

This discussion makes me wonder if Zope has been dabbling in AOP
concepts for years without knowing it.  In addition to ZODB, Zope lets
you declare permissions for methods, wraps objects with proxies to give
them an environment, and inspects method signatures to make them
directly callable by URL.  The AOP folks talk about very similar things.
  Surely there is some common thread.

Shane