Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Apr 14 11:33:21 EDT 2004

Paul Morrow wrote:

>We've worked hard to convince our company to migrate our core
>applications to Python, and now we're looking for a Python developer
>in Atlanta to handle a short-term (approx. 3 month) project.  But our
>initial searches have been fairly unsuccessful.  We haven't actually
>posted a job on Monster, but we have been talking with various
>headhunters in our area and they don't have many resumes that show
>Python experience.  An so now, of course, mgt is wondering whether
>selecting Python was a mistake.
>
>As anyone had a similar experience?  Suggestions?

Suggestions:

    * Post on the python.org job-board, though honestly, I don't know
      how many of us contractor types actually check it regularly, since
      most postings there are for jobs as distinct from short-term contracts
    * Post here. Noisy is often a good strategy in advertising
    * Look up any Python Open Source project your respect and ask if the
      developer is available for contract work (they often are)
    * Convert any senior programmer to a Pythonista, approximately 2-3
      weeks training
    * If looking for junior programmers (doesn't seem likely in this
      particular case, but just in case), advertise at a university,
      such as the University of Waterloo (in Canada), which has a lot of
      Python activity either for graduates or co-op students (caveat,
      I'm an alumni, so UofW is obviously not all it's cracked up to be ;) )
    * Import from Canada, we've got dozens of Python coders in Toronto
      alone, of course, then you may have visa issues (particularly for
      such a short stint)
    * There are a number of firms around and about (ours (Vex) included)
      which offer contract Python programmers, I think Engenuity is also
      up for contract work these days... both of those are
      Toronto-based, so likely visa issues again.  I think Michael
      Bernstein would likely be open to contract work, and he's down in
      the states and willing to travel, think he mostly focuses of
      web-site/app development.
    * There's at least one Python-specific job board the URL for which I
      haven't been able to put my finger on at the moment, owner of that
      will probably pipe up with the name
    * I think there's a Python/Zope group in the research triangle area,
      they might very well have (moderately (never took US geography in
      school, so my recollection of relative distance may be off)) local
      people interested in contract work

Good luck,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher