Simple text markup (-> HTML)

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at poste.it
Sat Apr 3 03:03:17 EST 2004

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote in message news:<tyf3c7m1zic.fsf at pcepsft001.cern.ch>...
<snip>

I write everything in rst format and then convert to HTML,Latex,PS, PDF, etc.
For what concerns the documentation, I write snippets and examples inside
it, then I execute the text file using (a minor hack to) doctest and I
get (additional) tests for free. Finally, I write the documentation (call
it implementation proposal if you wish) before writing the actual code,
so I get Documentation Driven Development ;)

Way cool: it is something between literate programming and TDD. Most
importantly it works. I have yet to implement the second step: the idea
is to convert the documentation in HTML, put it on the Web and let
the customer run the tests with a click on the browser as soon as he reads
the documentation (or proposal of implementation) and see if he/she likes it.
It is not difficult to implement though.

I think you get the picture. doctest is still largely unexplored but it
has enourmous potentiality in terms of easy of use and convenience.
Think only to the fact that you get always updated documentation by definition.

      Michele Simionato