imitating user input

Greg Grin grigri9 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 15:37:51 EDT 2004

I need to imitate keyboard strokes in an active window inside of
internet explorer, specifically I need my program to log on to a
chatroom without me actually sitting in front of my computer. Also,
once it has logged on to the program I need my program to "read"
(search for strings, etc.) the text that's entered by other users in
this "chatroom". The problem I have is actually logging in to the
chatroom since I have not found a way to duplicate keyboard strokes.

If someone could point me in the right direction on tutorials about
this or show me a sample program that does this I would really
appreciate it.

--grigri9

P.S. I am a first semester programming student at my high school and
Python is the only language I know.