Tkinter vs. wxPython?

Leif B. Kristensen junkmail at solumslekt.org
Tue Apr 27 17:52:50 EDT 2004

Alan Gauld rose and spake:

[Tkinter, wxPython]
> I've played with both but my GUI needs are simple - usually
> putting a nice front end on a CLI script. (Fancy GUI stuff I tend
> to do in Delphi - oh the shame of it...)
>
> But my experience suggests similar findings, Tkinter is dead easy
> to build small GUIs but it has a limited widget set (even
> including PMW) and has no currently maintained graphical GUI
> builder so far as I know (SpecPython is long discontnued!)
>
> And there is no doubt that wxPython looks more natural, on
> windows at least, although the differences aren't enough to make
> me switch. BUt my needs are, as I said, very simple.

Right now I'm trying to build a GUI frontend to my genealogy database.
I've settled on Tkinter for the present. I've tried PyQT, wxPython, and
Tkinter sofar, and have settled with Tkinter for the time being because
of the superior documentation. This being my first serious attempt of
building a GUI ever, I need to rely heavily on tutorials and sample
code. There's nothing that beats Tkinter in this respect.

What I really miss in the Libre Software world is a kind of integrated
GUI data representation / entry interface like in the old DBase II
days. I don't want to write thousands of lines of code just to throw
pixels on the screen. What I want is a simple way to design forms, and
spend my main effort on the interface to the backend database.

I've had a good look on Knoda <url:http://www.knoda.org/> to this
effect. It is very promising, but it isn't quite there yet.

regards,
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
http://solumslekt.org/