HTML writer

Leif B. Kristensen junkmail at solumslekt.org
Fri Apr 2 05:26:58 EST 2004

Moosebumps wrote:

> I know there newer things like CSS and XHTML -- are these more or less
> effort to generate?  i.e. are they more complicated, or do they have
> more uniform syntax?  What do they necessarily buy you?

I don't know anything about Python in relation to dynamic web pages, but
I've worked quite a lot with PHP in this respect. XHTML is a very clean
implementation of HTML, and should, at least in principle, be much more
easily rendered by any browser than ninetyish tag soup. From a coder's
point of view, it also of course has a lot of aesthetic appeal.

The nicest thing about the XHTML/CSS combination, is the clean division
between structure and presentation. The <FONT> tag should go the same
way as the GOTO.

I would recommend to read up the specs of XHTML 1.0 on
<url:http://www.w3c.org/>, write some experimental markup, and then try
to validate it on <url:http://validator.w3.org/>. You'll get the hang
of it after some iterations.

There are many good tutorials on the net for writing XHTML and CSS; do a
search on Google. You can of course also learn an awful lot by viewing
the source of other people's validating pages.

regards,
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
http://solumslekt.org/