Indent testers needed (Prothon)

rzed rzantow at ntelos.net
Sat Apr 3 08:52:05 EST 2004

"Mark Hahn" <mark at prothon.org> wrote in
news:2Msbc.136673$cx5.2385 at fed1read04:

> "rzed" <rzantow at ntelos.net> wrote
>
>> /* loop 2 */
>> ix = 2
>> for
>>   item
>>     in
>>       blist
>>         :
>>           alist[ix] =
>>                alist[
>>           ix
>>           ]
>
> Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing?  You could do
> the same thing or worse in C or Java.

My first reaction was negative, but in fact I don't think it makes
as much difference as it appears to. I'm not going to code like
that, and I don't know anyone who will. But the absurdist approach
to coding won't necessarily be used just because is possible. The
continuation lines in general are more convenient than Python's
stricter rule, though I liked the first version of Prothon's rule
(a double indent implies continuation) as well. The open-bracket
rule in particular seems intuitive. I think either Prothon rule is
handier than \
continuations.

But I agree with Josiah, in that cut and paste will become
problematic if the mixture is not allowed. I tried to make the
point to Michael earlier (though apparently in a muddled way). I
don't show visible tab marks in my editors, and I don't want to
have to, but if I don't, I haven't any good way to know whether a
piece of code contains tabs or spaces. Until I run it, at least.

--
rzed