allocate TWO interpreters in a C program?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 5 16:00:00 EDT 2004

Torsten Mohr:
> i can embed Perl into a C program and allocate MORE THAN ONE
> interpreter if i want to.  They are independent from each other.
>
> Is this also possible in Python?

As no one else has answered, I'll take a stab at it, on the assumption
that a wrong answer will be corrected.

No, it isn't possible.  Various bits of state, like exceptions, are stored
in global variable (actually thread global I think).  I think there is other
global state, like sys.modules which contains all of the imported modules.

There are experimental systems like PyPy which can provide
independent interpreters but I know little about them.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com