Does Python compete with Java?

Chris Herborth chrish at cryptocard.com
Tue Apr 6 08:40:18 EDT 2004

Harald Massa wrote:

> Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote in news:roy-094613.21022405042004
> @reader1.panix.com:
>
>>http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/joke/foot.htm
>
>>They don't have one for Python, but I expect it would be something like
>>this:
>
> I think the most common solution is:
>
>>How to Shoot Yourself In the Foot
>
> Python
> you discover that Guido used his time machine to shoot you in the foot
> years ago

My experience:

Post to comp.lang.python:

"I'm looking for a good scripting language, and Python's got some great
features, but that syntactically-relevant whitespace thing just seems wrong..."

Replies:

"Don't worry about it, in practice you'll see that you write code that way
anyway and it's very natural..."

Me:

"I don't know..."

[Wanders off for a few months.  Returns.]

"Python rules!  Best scripting language EVAR!"

Chris Herborth                                     chrish at cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp.      http://www.cryptocard.com/
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.