python web programming / CMS

flupke flupke at nonexistingdomain.com
Thu Apr 22 17:39:17 EDT 2004

asdf sdf wrote:

> i've only played a bit with Spyce.
>
> you can use it as plain CGI, or you can use FastCGI or modpython.
> your choice.
>
> you can invoke python scripts which can make database connections.
>
> database support isn't built into Spyce.  you get the python-wrapper
> for whatever database you want.  a bunch are available.  certainly
> all the major databases.
>
> modpython has recently greatly expanded its scope.  now it includes
> PSP style functionality.  also session support.  seems to overlap
> pretty heavily/maybe subsume what Spyce does.
>
> i tried asking on the modpython group for a comparison of modpython
> PSP v. Spyce PSP, especially  in terms on completeness, stability,
> scope, etc.
>
> i triggered an interesting discussion of PSP-style templates, but no
> one directly answered my question.
>
> Be advised also there are other python PSP-style projects out there,
> including one named PSP.
>
> Also I hope you realize none of these projects are a CMS framework of
> any sort.  They are tools with which you could write your own.
>
> I assume your CMS requirements are very minimal or you would avoid
> trying to reinvent the wheel.

Well, i'm assigned a project where i have to choose a intranet sollution
and a platform for future webbased tools development.
I'm trying to get a clear idea of what is possible.
For the moment 2 kinds of setup are considered
OpenCMS - JBoss - Apache - Tomcat
or
Plone - Zope - Apache - Spyce / modpython

A have worked with jsp's before so i pretty much know what i could
except from the first environment. But python triggered my interest
because it's faster to develop code (and clean code) and Plone
seems like one of the best opensource CMS around.

I know that with OpenCMS, i could make html pages with jsp
code inside. Is that also possible in Plone/Zope? I mean having plone
process pages with embedded Python through modpython or Spyce?
Or is plone going to send the pages to Zope? That's a part that's not
yet clear for me.

Also, can one use his own python objects in those PSP pages?

flupke