surface fitting library for Python?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Apr 9 10:08:25 EDT 2004

On 2004-04-08, David M. Cooke <cookedm+news at physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:

>> I'm looking for a surface fitting library for Python.
>>
>> Something like the least-squares module in scientific python,
>> except I want to fit a surface (z = f(x,y)) instead of a curve
>> (y = f(x)).
>
> You mean Konrad Hinsen's ScientificPython?

That's the one.

> Scientific.Functions.LeastSquares.leastSquaresFit should still
> work for you. You just need to make your data a list of tuples
> of (x,y) and z.
>
> Example:

[...]

Well, that's entirely too easy. For some reason I convinced
myself that wouldn't work (though I hadn't tried it).

> If your model isn't amiable to having derivatives taken,

That I don't know yet.  We haven't chosen a model, since we're
still working on gather the data.

> you might check out the wrapping by Robert Kern of ODRPACK:
> http://starship.python.net/crew/kernr/Projects.html I've used
> this successfully.

I will.  Thanks!

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  YOW!! Now I
                                  at               understand advanced