Dollar sign ($) on foriegn keyboards? (prothon)

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Tue Apr 20 02:22:10 EDT 2004

We are considering switching to the dollar sign ($) for self, instead of the
period ( . ) we are using now in Prothon.  Ruby uses the at-sign (@) for
self, but our new usage of self also includes replacing the period for some
attribute references, as in obj$func() versus obj.func(), and too many
programs treat that as an email address and screw it up.  Also the S in the
symbol $ reminds one of the S in $elf.

Can people from outside the U.S. tell me if typing the dollar sign often
would be a problem in writing code?  Is it available and somewhat easy to
type on international keyboards?