equivalent to Java's toString()?

Ype Kingma ykingma at accessforall.nl
Mon Apr 19 13:17:02 EDT 2004

Michael Geary wrote:

> Gabriel Cooper wrote:
>> What is the python equivalent to java's toString()?
>>
>> When debugging I want to be able to basically be able to do this:
>>
>>     print MyObjectInstance
>>
>> or
>>     print str(MyObjectInstance)
>>
>> and have it print out formatted output along the lines of:
>>
>>     Object properties: Red=0 Yellow=0 Blue=255
>
> Define a __str__ method in your class. It works just like toString() in
Java
> and JavaScript:

> ...     def __str__( self ):
> ...         return 'My Test!'
> My Test!
>>>>

> Also see __repr__ for a related method.
>
> -Mike

Closing the circle, just for info, from the java docs of jython:

http://www.jython.org/docs/javadoc/org/python/core/PyObject.html#__str__()

"""Equivalent to the standard Python __str__ method. This method should not
typically need to be overridden. The easiest way to configure the string
representation of a PyObject is to override the standard Java toString
method."""

Regards,
Ype