Are line continuations needed?

Russell Wallace wallacethinmintr at eircom.net
Wed Apr 7 16:18:04 EDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:53:00 GMT, Christopher Koppler
<klapotec at chello.at> wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:05:29 GMT, wallacethinmintr at eircom.net (Russell
>Wallace) wrote:
>
>>Python lets you continue a single logical line across more than one
>>physical line, either by putting a \ at the end or letting it happen
>>automatically with an incomplete infix operator.
>
>I don't have any ready examples, but I do occasionally need it, if
>only for readability porpoises, or more often to fit a line to a
>certain length limit. If a parenthetical expression will work, and
>doesn't look stranger (really can't think of a case), I'll use that.

Okay, thanks.

>But problems there'll surely be - with legacy code compatibility.

*nod* I was more asking whether it was a good idea to include it
originally than whether it could be removed now, though I suppose
since 3.0 is supposed to be breaking with backward compatibility,
there's the question of whether it should be retained there.

>Not really it isn't ;-)

^.^

--
"Sore wa himitsu desu."