Wrapper round x86 Assembler

Fuzzyman michael at foord.net
Mon Apr 19 03:11:04 EDT 2004

[snip..]

> > Anyway - it would be easy to reserve some memory with a string like
> > object to pass to an 'assembly object' and allow some really nifty
> > (and fast) stuff ?? For simple algorithms it would be very neat.
> > Avoiding memory overflow etc would be up to the assembly code 'chunk'
> > of course.
>

> The following has been reposted by Bradley Schatz to the ctypes mailing
> list, it may indeed contain what you want, and it *is* very
> interesting.  The original post was to the bugtraq mailing list (or so):
>
> from oliver.lavery at sympatico.ca
>
> Today marks another solar cycle I've spent on this planet. To celebrate I'd
> like to share one of my toys with all of you.
>
> Adder is a tool I wrote for myself, so that I could experiment with runtime
> modification of binary applications. I've found it really useful for
> prototyping run-time patches, understanding the effects and possibilities of
> call-hooking and other run-time program tweaks; that sort of thing. I hope
> you might find it useful too...
>

> Binary:
> http://www.rootkit.com/vault/x3nophi1e/adder-0.3.3-win32.zip
> ( NT 4 / 2000 / XP / 2003 )
>
> Source:
> http://www.rootkit.com/vault/x3nophi1e/adder-0.3.3-src.zip
>
> Documentation:
> http://www.rootkit.com/vault/x3nophi1e/adder-manual.zip
> ( please read the installation instructions in here. )

[snip..]

Very interesting.
It looks like Adder *does* contain what I originally asked for - a
wrapper round an assembler, with the ability to assemble into memory
and jump into the code. All contained within a much more sophisticated
package for bug finding and reverse engineering.

*However* - I've just discovered Weave - a package that is part of the
SciPy project and allows for (almost) inline C functions that can be
dynamically compiled at run-time.

As I'd like to learn Pyrex (and so need to learn C) - I think I'll
experiment with Weave.

Thanks.

Fuzzy