AOP use cases

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 03:56:13 EDT 2004

> [Eric Eide, from the academics]
> 	Will> Forget about *real* real-world examples, these people just want
> 	Will> to get papers published.
>
> Perhaps that explains IBM's excitement about aspect-oriented technologies, as
> reported here:
>
> 	<http://news.com.com/2100-1008-5178164.html>
> 	<http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=AOSD2004-2>
> 	<http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=44214>

Thank you for the links.

> 	Will> Usability is considered of minor impportance.
>
> Perhaps that explains why AspectJ 1.1 received a Jolt Productivity Award in
> the "Languages and Development Environments" category, as reported here:
>
> 	<http://sdmagazine.com/jolts/>

AspectJ is for Java...

> 	Will> I have come to the conclusion that AOP is nothing more than what
> 	Will> I expect from a decent programmer: a good, or at least
> 	Will> reasonable, design of software in the first place.
>
> I would say that the *goal* of AOP is "nothing more" that what you would
> expect from a good programmer: good implementation of good software
> designs.  AOP is a an approach that augments existing approaches, such as
> OOP, for obtaining that goal.

One of my original points was that Java needs "AOP" to solve problems
imposed by the static typing system.  The links you provide are
Java-centric.  A better designed programming language, like the
dynamicall typed language Python, does not need "AOP".  It is up to
the software designer to make good designs, orthogonal where needed,
with separation of concerns, etc.