Why we will use obj$func() often

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Apr 22 22:10:24 EDT 2004

Mark Hahn wrote:

> I am serious when I say I think that Python has headed off into egghead land
> a bit and I feel that keeps a lot of people from switching to it.  I think
> that this heady stuff scares them off.

Not likely.  Most people learning or using Python still have little
interest in or need for metaclass programming, and I *strongly*
doubt it has scared off more than a handful of people.

Likewise, the differences between prototype-based languages and
class-based languages do not appear significant enough to be
the sole reason to pick one over the other.  The community,
on the other hand, and the libraries -- well, those are good
reasons for picking Python.  It will be interesting to see whether
Prothon manages to achieve similar success in either area.
And if it does, well, see my first point in this sentence again...

-Peter