Python 2.3.3 super() behaviour

Nicolas Lehuen nicolas.lehuen at thecrmcompany.com
Wed Apr 21 06:57:33 EDT 2004

Ah, so there *is* more than one way to do it, then ? ;)

What the example shows is that super(...).__init__ does make one call to
each superclass' __init__, provided that those superclasses play nicely and
use super() themselves (as Peter wrote). If one of the superclasses does not
use super(), the 'magical' iteration over parent methods is interrupted,
hence the need to put those bad guys at the end of the superclasses list in
the class declaration.

But you're right, David, the simplest way to get what I want is to
explicitely call the superclasses' __init__. However, this would mean that
super() is not as useful as it seems. I'd rather find a way to *always* use
super() than have special cases for certain inheritance trees. In other
words, I'd rather have only one way to do it :).

Regards,
Nicolas

news:c65j4o$3me$1 at ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...