Thoughts on PEP315

Tim Rowe tim at remove_if_not_spam.digitig.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 14:26:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:49:46 +0100, Stephen Horne
<$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$@$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.co.uk> wrote:

>Maybe - but in my reading of Johns suggestion the 'while' was just a
>statement like the existing 'break' or 'continue' (hence the lack of a
>colon). So you could legally write...

He's clarified that one now.

>  while True :
>    blah; blah; blah; blah
>    blah; blah; blah; blah
>  break if condition :
>    blah; blah; blah; blah
>    blah; blah; blah; blah

That makes me twitchy: looks like the thin end of a wedge to Perl and
Ruby's <statement> if <condition> construct.

>In itself, I don't think my suggestion is compelling - but as an
>alternative to the existing PEP315, on the assumption that some change
>is going to happen, I think my idea has significant merit.

Oh, better than PEP315 certainly.  I still don't like it :-)