artificial intelligence

Istvan Albert ialbert at mailblocks.com
Mon Sep 1 20:50:31 EDT 2003

Duncan Smith wrote:

> What do Amazon use?  My guess (unless it's something really naive) would be
> association rules.

In my previous job I worked for a research group studying recommender
systems. We have our own, called MovieLens

http://www.movielens.org

among others we use a so called item-item recommender.
We compute similarities between items then look at a
given basket and based on it we choose to recommend the most
similar items no yet selected. The good thing about this method
is that item similarities are more static they don't need
to be recomputed as often.

Istvan.