OT: Mailman misfeature. was: Re: How to instatiate a class of which the name is only known at runtime?

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Wed Sep 10 07:38:45 EDT 2003

"Peter Otten" <__peter__ at web.de> wrote in message
news:bjml1l$fd9$00$1 at news.t-online.com...
> Marco Herrn wrote:
>
> > 1. How to do the import? I didn't find a way to give a string to the
> >    import statement.
> >
> > 2. How to write such code to instantiate?
>
> Off topic: This thread like some others is spread over a few toplevel
> entries in my newsreader (KNode 0.7.2). Is this a bug?

It's not a bug, it's a misfeature. Articles that are gated from
the mailing list to the newsgroup have improperly truncated
reference lists, so newsreaders can't put them together properly.

If you look at the headers for a message posted via news, you'll
find something like:

<3F5ECDE2.40206 at mxm.dk> <3F5ECEF7.9080409 at mxm.dk>

However, if you look at the headers for a message gated
from the Python mailing list, you'll find:

Which happens to be the ID of the first message in the tree, (which was,
coincidentally, gated from the mailing list.) regardless of how far down
in the tree it happens to be.

Then if, for some reason, you don't have the message at the top
of the tree, you get this scatter effect.

I have no idea whether this is a problem with Mailman, the
Mail RFCs, or the mail to news gateway.

HTH

John Roth