Advice to a Junior in High School?

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Mon Sep 1 20:18:12 EDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:46:27 -0700, Stan Graves wrote:
> "Howard Nease" <hnease at midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
>> love the subject, and I've wanted to be a computer scientist ever since
>> I was 12 years old.

(Unrelated to my reason for posting: You don't *need* to leave Computer
Science, it's not going anywhere. People choose to become professional
musicians, too, even though almost nobody can even make a living at it.
You can be a Computer Scientist, you just may not make a lot of money.
C'est la vie; for me, I still have to be a Computer Scientist, I love it
too much to quit.)

> Study literature - I have yet to see a single computer scientist who can
> manipulate symbols as well as Shakespeare.

class Rose:
	"A Rose is a Rose is a Rose."""
	def sweetness(self):
		return "very"

rose = Rose()
otherName = rose
assert rose.sweetness() == otherName.sweetness()

Would you *notice* if a computer scientist matched Shakespeare?

How can you compare the two at all?

Statements like that sound all profound but are really the exact opposite;
meaningless.