Why the 'self' argument?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Sep 6 14:07:28 EDT 2003

In article <Ucp6b.3992$ZB4.3874 at reader1.news.jippii.net>, Harri Pesonen wrote:

> I agree, it's not logical. I'm learning Python at the moment, and like
> it very much. This "self" thing seems to be the only odd feature,

It seemed quite natural to me, but perhaps that's because I'd
used other languages that worked the same way.  Coming from
Modula-3 and Smalltalk, the way classes worked in Python seemed
quite intuitive.

OTOH, C++ seems like a real non-intuitive mess to me.

> it feels like the whole class feature was added later.

Why?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... I think I'm
                                  at               having an overnight