Python Documentation?

Daniel R. Smorey Jr. smory at ptdprolog.net
Mon Sep 1 00:41:14 EDT 2003

I'm looking for a good place for Python documentation.  I'm really lost
on why it's so hard to find anything when it comes to me looking up a
particular function in Python.  My example would be the split() function
of the string module.  Why can't I just go to www.python.org and click
on Search and then type in split and it bring me to the split() function
of the string module?  Why does it have to be so hard?  This is what I
get when I search for split on www.python.org...

http://search.python.org/query.html?qt=split&col=ftp&col=python&col=peps&col=starship

Most of those hits are for the re module, not the string module (which
in my opinion should be part of python and not a module, but I digress).
  Why would it not bring up the split function of the string module
first and foremost?

If I do a search right now on www.perldoc.com for split, I get...

http://www.perldoc.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?words=split&restrict=perl5.8.0

Right there, the top hit is the slit function, how convenient.

If I go to www.php.net and type in split in the function list search, I
get...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.split.php

I don't even get a hit list, it goes right to the split() function.
Even more convenient.

I'm trying to learn Python because we're doing some work on the Zaurus
and there are so many supporting python modules for the Zaurus, that I'd
like to use it.  I love learning new languages also.  It just gives me a
bad taste in my mouth when I even think of searching for anything in Python.

Am I searching the wrong place?  Am I choosing the wrong checkboxes on
the Search page?  I'm at a loss.  Is it really that hard to find
documentation on the python.org site?

Thanks for hearing my rant and I'm hoping I'm just doing something
wrong.  I really can't imagine such an organized programming language
having such a horrible search on their website.