Opposite of yield?

Greg Chapman glc at well.com
Fri Sep 12 11:00:25 EDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:40:37 -0700, achrist at easystreet.com wrote:

>The yield statement looks to be a big step toward some kind of
>lightweight concurrency-oriented programming in python.  Is there
>any similarly nice way to do the opposite of yield, just sit around
>(perhaps in the middle of a loop) and wait until some other routine
>(unknown to the waiting module) hurls a value in?
>
>If this is not implemented now, is there any chance that it's on the
>list of things to come?

You can use a generator as the body of a function.  That is, the generator is
only ever accessed through the function, and the function and the generator have
some agreed on way to pass parameters.  I.e.:

def getline(output):
    '''getline accumulates text until it has a complete line (signaled
       by either a newline (\\n) or a null (\\0)).  It then passes the
       line (without trailing \n) to output'''

    genargs = [None]
    def callgen(text):
        genargs[0] = text
        return gennext()
    def gen():
        line = ''
        while True:
            text, = genargs
            if text:
                lines = text.splitlines(True)
                if line:
                    lines[0] = line+lines[0]
                for line in lines[:-1]:
                    output(line[:-1])
                line = lines[-1]
                if line[-1] in '\n\0':
                    if line[-1] == '\n':
                        line = line[:-1]
                    output(line)
                    line = ''
            yield None
    gennext = gen().next
    return callgen

def printer(text):
    print text

lineprinter = getline(printer)

lineprinter('hello')      #nothing output
lineprinter(' world\n')   #prints 'hello world'

---
Greg Chapman