Comments on Python Redesign

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Sun Sep 7 17:12:08 EDT 2003

David Eppstein wrote:

> Lots of people have been rightly jumping all over the design.  But
> there's something else that I think is very important in the
> current python.org front page and missing from the proposed
> redesign: the text "Welcome to the official website for the Python
> language."
>
> If one looks at the proposed redesign, it is difficult to tell
> whether Python is an application, a magazine, a business
> consulting partnership,
> or what.  It is also unclear whether the site is run by the same
> people
> responsible for Python, whatever Python is.  Certainly "official
> web site for programming language" is not the first thing that
> springs to mind.

Actually, from its appearance, the new design looks like it is
trying to sell me something.  "Advert filters up!" It makes me
suspicious, skeptical, and cynical, as all advertising does.

I don't mean to criticize the work that's being done for the new
site.  It looks like excellent work.  I do mean to suggest that
perhaps its style is not what I want for the "official Python
site", and, in particular, not for the first/main page.

The new design looks great.  It looks exceptionally well done.
But, instead of the official Python Web site, it would be better
suited for "The Python Advisory Board" or for "The Friends of
Python" or for whatever organization has the mission of promoting
and lobbying for Python.

Maybe if the new main page (python-main-2.html) were at the end of
a link labelled "Python advocacy" ...

And Petter Hansen wrote in a separate message:

> (*) Personally, I never thought the existing site was a big
problem,
> but then I just view the web as a simple way to search for text
> and I still use Netscape 4.7 much of the time, so I'm obviously
not
> the target for these improvements...

I think I'm in this school.  I go to the Web in general and to the
Python site in particular for content, not for graphics. I think
the new design is pretty and very attractive, perhaps *too* pretty
and attractive.  When I send or refer someone to a site like that,
I'd feel I'd have to warn them: "It looks like promotional
material, but don't be put off; there is really good content there
if you look for it.

I suppose you could brush me off as old fashioned and "old
school".  I certainly am.  I like text and content not graphics,
colors, and visual appeal.  But, then I'd argue that text and
cognitive content are what's appropriate for the official Python
site.

The current main page at www.python.org is a portal and a
directory.  It helps me find things that are related to Python,
things that help me with Python, things that I feel will help
others to use Python.  That's why in much of the Python
documentation I write, the current www.python.org is a "must
reference".  I would not feel the same about a site that contains
endorsements from famous people, even nerdy famous people that I
admire.

I would like to request that the new site, whatever its style,
give me as much help as possible finding what I need in order to
use Python.  I'd want the site designer to look at every piece of
that page and ask: Will this help someone find what they need
about Python?

This new design looks great to me. But, it is not the official
Python Web site.  It is the site for some company trying to sell
Python services or Python tools or something.

Look at the Google directory page (http://www.google.com/dirhp).
(It's actually built on the ODP: Open Directory Project, dmoz.org).
You'll see maximum nutrition and minimum calories.  It's very
plain, and very popular.  People know it will help them find what
they want, and they trust it, at least I do.

On the other hand, having several pages that show the kind of
graphical interface that can be constructed with wxPython, pygtk,
etc seems like a good idea to me.

Hope I haven't been uncivil.  I apologize in advance, if I seem to
have been.  And, thanks much for the work that the new site
designers have done.

Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman