isNumber? check

Rob Hunter rob at cs.brown.edu
Mon Sep 29 16:47:07 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 04:41 PM, Gerrit Holl wrote:

> Rob Hunter wrote:
>>>>

>>> Why do you want to do so?
>>

>> I am writing an interpreter, and my parser has to decide if an
>> expression is a number or not.
>
> So you actually have a string...
>
> Maybe you could do something like this:
>
> if expr.strip("0123456789.e") == "": print "May be a number!"
> if expr.strip("0123456789") == "": print "Surely a number!"
>
> Gerrit.

I don't like that solution for this particular project because, as you
say yourself, if it says yes to the second question, it only *may* be a
number.  I want to know for sure.  I think the type or instance checks
as the other posters mentioned are going to be fine for me.

OTOH, thanks for the suggestion!  That's a cool little hack that I'm
sure will come in handy to me in the future.

Rob