Need arguments for "Python vs. Perl as an OOPL"

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Sep 22 23:24:21 EDT 2003

I'm working on a prototype of a new application in Python.  At some
point, if this ever turns into a product, the powers that be will almost
certainly demand that it be done in Perl.  My job will be to convince
them otherwise.

The basic design of the application is object oriented.  I've never used
Perl's OO features, so I'm not in a good position to make a comparison
of the two languages from an OO point of view.  Can somebody who's done
OOP in both Python and Perl help me out?

I certainly know why Perl sucks in general, but for this purpose, I need
to specifically compare the OO features of the two.  I'm looking for
something more fundamental than "->{} is ugly".