isNumber? check

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Mon Sep 29 10:20:27 EDT 2003

Rob Hunter wrote:
> How do I check if a value is a number in Python?
>
> One way is (x == type(1)) and (x == type(1.2)) and (x ==
> type(2387482734274)) and ...
>
> but this seems kludgy.  Any better way?

Why do you want to do so? Maybe, it is better in your
case to just run the piece of code using the number, and
if it fails, it fails. However, if you must, you need to
do type(x) is type(1) and ... etc., or isinstance(x, int)
and isinstance(x, float), etc.

Gerrit.

	http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/
	http://www.sp.nl/