Need arguments for "Python vs. Perl as an OOPL"

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Sep 23 09:50:30 EDT 2003

At 09:24 PM 9/22/2003, Roy Smith wrote:

>I'm working on a prototype of a new application in Python.  At some
>point, if this ever turns into a product, the powers that be will almost
>certainly demand that it be done in Perl.  My job will be to convince
>them otherwise.

So you may need to understand the factors that the powers use to make such
a decision.
If they are not themselves programmers, they may have a harder time
understanding language differences.
Are they concerned that there will be other Python programmers available?
Consider asking them on what bases they make these decisions (what needs of
their's are they meeting by sticking with Perl). Then see if there is a way
that choosing Python will help meet these needs also or better.
Also be on the alert whether they are acting from a rational place or an
emotional one. Realize that management usually has to make decisions based
on incomplete data (for that matter so do we), so there's worry, fear, etc
operating.
When management gets that you understand their needs, then you are in a
better position to have your needs and desires heard.

For more on this approach visit www.cnvc.org (Center for Non-Violent
Communication)
[snip]

Bob Gailer