OT: best book in years

Chad Netzer cnetzer at sonic.net
Sun Sep 7 14:30:41 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 05:51, John J. Lee wrote:
> Chad Netzer <cnetzer at sonic.net> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 01:06, Alex Martelli wrote:
> >
> > > Me, I'd recommend "Dawkins vs. Gould: Survival of the Fittest",
> > > by Kim Sterelny.
> >
> > Thanks, I had just been wondering if there was a book on this subject,
> > after a recent discussion about this topic with my girlfriend.
> [...]
>
> That "debate" is so frequently depressing in its astoundingly low
> quality that I couldn't bring myself to so much as pick up the book.

I might glance at the book (and read some reviews) to see if it goes
beyond the pettiness of the debate itself, to add insight or value to
the actual (supposed) claims of the debaters.  I agree that, otherwise,
it could be of minimal value (except as a convenient way to deflect
conversation when the topic arises) :)

--
Chad Netzer